Thursday

The Divine Medicine Journal Workshop #2

Good afternoon my dear friends! This month I would like for us to explore the coming of Spring in the form of the Goddess that resides in each one of us.
Spring is a time of:

GROWTH
RENEWAL
REBIRTH
HEALING
THE MAIDEN
NEW LIFE
NEW BEGINNINGS
HONORING THE SELF

In reading all of these amazing aspects, know that they all reside in each of you. This entry explore drawing the Spring Goddess, the Maiden of Spring within you and allow any, all, or any of other qualities to be your inspiration for your page. See her as yourself and then allow her to speak to your heart:
My quote that came forward after the page was complete was:

The Spring Goddess awakens bringing blessings of hope, renewal, healing and a rebirth of life.

Enjoy this months Medicine Journal page and please do email me if you would like to share your page with me and all of us when you are ready. I apologize, I had some of you email me yours and I have been so busy the last few weeks I have not yet had a moment to get them posted on last months page. They are now below to share!
With love and joy,
Joanna

Step 1: Add a wash of gesso to your page(s) and let dry.

Step 2: Paint your pages with an off white or parchment colored paint. Once dry add some collage elements such as torn pages from an old book-that is what I used above-vintage images, sheet music, receipts...whatever you wish, just note that it will also be mostly painted over with the next color. To add your collage elements I used Modge Podge, you can use gel medium if you wish as well.

Step 3: I chose two shades of lavender for my background, one was slightly darker to give some depth. I used a slightly damp paint brush to add the first coat, going lighter over the added vintage pages for them to show through a bit, you can go over them even less if you like the look of it. My advice, go lighter first because you can always go darker. I added some of the darker shade to the edges and some of the middle of the pages. Before the paint dried I took the end of a pencil eraser and smudged off circles here and there for another texture to the background. I also used a wet/damp paper towel over my index finger to pick up some of the paint where I wanted to. I smeared it off, dabbed it off, just had fun and played. I know I always say this-but have fun, let go and experiment. The great thing is that if you dont like the way an area turned out-cover it with a flower, butterfly or any other collage element!

Step 4: Next I drew my Spring Goddess, I only drew her face this time and a very basic outline of where her hair was going to fall around her face. I knew I wanted roses and flowers in her hair so at this point those collage elements are just sitting on top of the page so that I can plan out where I will need her hair color and how many flowers I will need. I also added a wash of titanium white to her face so that I had a good base to cover the lavender paint below her. She is just drawn in pencil right now.

Step 5: Now I have painted her hair and actually glued on the collage flower elements. I have also painted her face, eyes and lips, nothing more, I have not added any shading or finished the hair. Dont be overly concerned about the hair as you could completely cover the area of her hair with flowers, branches, leaves, butterflies, etc.!

Step 6: Now for the fun part! I start to add flower, branch and leaf stamps in green and brown all around the pages. I wanted it to appear as if she was behind a bunch of leaves and branches, covering her body. I added the two butterflies as well.

Step 7: Now the pages have come to life even more. I have now finished her face, added blush, finished her eyes and lips. I have smeared some of the leaves and branches to give them more depth and distressing. I have also used my finger in the brown inkpad to add that color around the entire pages plus I have added gold rub and buff, (something I use in almost every page!).

Step 8: Here is the final page with the Spring Goddess with my quote written around her. Later today I will fill the other side with my own journal entry for the day! I hope you enjoyed this months journal page!

14 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and so awe inspiring. I so love Spring and the coming of new things. I am pleased, delighted that I found you (OWOH).
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. The McKennitt plus these soothing pages are exactly what this tired woman needs right now. Thanks for always knowing. You are a healer to be sure. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is simply beautiful. I've started taking a monthly Goddess class, so this is project I'm going to add to my Goddess studies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely page joanne... Could you tell me what the gesso does? Is it like a primer? I've seen it mentioned so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! it is perfect! i almost finished mine ! i'll send it to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh! i have just seen my pages in your post!!!!!!!!!! what a surprise!thank you so much! if you put my link too in your favourites i would be greatful!!!!!!!!
    thank you!
    i can't find your e-mail in order to send you a page for spring like yours! please notify me where i can get it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pages. i really keep meaning to join in with this, such a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your journal pages are beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for the tutorial. I've added your badge to my sidebar so I can be sure to keep visiting - and maybe even try one for myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am doing some random blog hopping and here I am at your site! I love the feel of it. It feels good.
    I will come back and visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You create such magickal and beautiful work! It's because you are so magickal and beautiful on the inside.

    ~magick~
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing. You have inspired me to sit down with my journal and try something similar.
    I love the fantasy feeling of your blog! I've bookmarked it so I can come back to it over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you so much for sharing with us your process, it's helpful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. really beautiful art work!!!! thank you for sharing!!! xoxo Rena

    ReplyDelete

Cherished Words...