Saturday

The Divine Medicine Journal Workshop #3

Happy Saturday everyone! I am truly sorry, I know I said I was going to have this up last Saturday but time just got away from me-since I had the surgery it seems like I have been doing nothing but running to catch up! Please enjoy this months journal entry!

This month I decided to have us focus on an iconic figure that influences your life. The definition of an Icon is this:
1.
a picture, image, or other representation.
2.
a representation of some sacred personage, as Christ or a saint or angel and venerated itself as sacred.

This can mean many things to many people, so think of someone that is sacred to your life at this time. Icons can change based upon our own circumstances and the situations we find ourselves in so focus on who you might like to bring as a presence more into your life and space. Enjoy!

Step 1: Add a light coat of gesso to your page and allow to dry. I added a light wet wash of sky blue to the background page, let it dry. I then finger painted a light parchment colored paint around the edges of the page and smeared and blended it with my finger. I then added a section of whitewash where the image was going to go. When it was dry I then drew my image in light pencil on the page and added some more blue paint to the edges of my newly drawn image with a wet brush. This makes it easier to have a base coat of white when you start painting the details of the face.
Step 2. This time I tried something a little different. I used my finger only and used Oil Painstiks in Sandstone for her face and Raw Umber for her hair. They are really fun to use if you like finger painting type of art like I like to do! =) I ended up liking how I could see some of the white through and the texture that was coming through from my wash of gesso. It reminded me of an old renaissance painting.
Step 3. I then came through and added some paint to her hair, blush, shading and shadow to her features and added blue to her eyes and a mauve color to her lips. I was going to paint the halo over her head a bright blue or turquoise but at the last minute decided to create it out of a vintage Latin book page. I glued that on with Matte Medium and allowed to dry.
Step 4. I then added a heavier blush to her cheeks, finished the eyes and added some interest to the page surrounding her. I also added my favorite gilded paste and a rubber stamp in a medieval font. I used a gold pen to add the decorative style around her head.

11 comments:

  1. Great tutorial. I just bought a golf leafing pen and a gold gel pen today. I think I should try this out and se the gold gel pen to accent the halo and page. hmmm. Who is an icon to me now...it would have to be a blogger artist. Maybe a female figure with a paint brushes ont the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tutorial is lovely. Inspires me to do something on my St. Dymphna in my mystical journal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful. Thanks for sharing her creation with us.
    I say, listent to the pace of Nature, she knows which way to go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post...lovely art! I would like to invite you to my blog to link up with me and other beautiful artist.
    http://fabricphotomemories.blogspot.com
    Lovey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Love your colors.
    Lenae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi loving your blog...love all your prompts..will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you!

    ~magick~
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only come to find you now, but I'm excited to participate in your medicine journal workshops nonetheless! I'm going to start with this one and work my way backwards . . . seems like the thing to do! LOL!

    Thanks so much for sharing and I'm looking forward to the next workshop!

    Blessings,
    Teresa
    http://mygoddess-self.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. the negative space with the subject at the lower left --- not really medieval, but the execution did the trick! nice work from you! as bacon once said, "there is no beauty without strangeness of proportion". keep it up! will check from of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello!
    I’ve just come across your blog,
    You have some great layouts here!
    I love your journal :)
    If you enjoy challenges I would like to invite you to join FS2S (From Screen 2 Scrap)
    http://screen2scrap.blogspot.com.au/
    We use movie posters as inspiration for our layouts. It would be great if you would become a follower of the site that way you will get the inspiration for the monthly challenges.
    Come have a look! Hope to see you soon !
    Cheers
    Shazza

    ReplyDelete

Cherished Words...